Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate

With Spring finally here and the weather consistently in the 60's and 70's now it's essential to pound the fluids 24/7.  Guzzle down as much water throughout the day as possible to get the most out of each run.  Even if you aren't thirsty drink up, your body will greatly appreciate it, trust me.  When I'm not hydrated fully I feel sluggish, out of rhythm, and tired.

When you are finished with your run make sure to not only drink water, but also Gatorade or Powerade to get those electrolytes and sodium back into your system.  For the quickest recovery make sure to get fluids back into your system within 15 minutes of completing your workout or it could mean an entire 24 hours until you're fully recovered.

Now, more than ever, I'm drinking a glass of water 20 to 30 minutes before my run, having a bottle of water and Gatorade after my run within 15 to 30 minutes of completion.  Before I go to bed I drink a glass of water to stay hydrated at night which makes me feel great in the morning.

I listed a few drinks which may appeal to you and help you remain hydrated before and after your run.  You can also go on-line and find out tips and drinks which also may help, too.

- Water
- Flavored Water
- Gatorade or G2 (lighter Gatorade)
- Powerade
- Recovery Supplements like Endurox which has a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein providing a high amount of electrolytes at the same time. 
- Chocolate milk 

Check out this link for further recovery supplements and reviews: Runner's World.com Supplements and Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment