Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tapering

Tapering is the period of time a runner begins to reduce the intensity of their training leading up to their big race.  The tapering period usually begins a week or two in advance.   

I'm beginning my tapering process this week and will taper even more next week leading up to my 1/2 marathon two weeks from today, Sunday, May 1. 

I'll lower my mileage this week, run at a slower pace, take one or two days off, and include speed workouts to quicken my leg turnover.  Next week, I'll cut down on my mileage even more and take 2 or 3 days off from running to make sure my body is fully recovered and prime for the race.

I included a link from Runner's World which goes more in depth of how to taper properly and the importance of tapering:     Tapering  

No comments:

Post a Comment