Sunday, April 24, 2011

One Week Until Glory

One week from today all my training, all the miles I put in, and all the preparation will boil down to 13.1 miles of pure guts, insanity, and fun.  By this time I'll be done with my half, hopefully in a time under 75 minutes which is just sub 5:45 pace, and sitting on a couch watching tv or in a hot tub letting my body recover.

These next 6 days are very crucial and can make or break me to some extent.  I have to make sure I get the proper nutrients in me and hydrate until I feel like a fish.  I'm caring a water bottle with me at all times and constantly filling it up whenever I get a chance.

As for my training I completed my last long run of 10 miles today, didn't feel the best though, but I rather not feel good today than next Sunday.  I'll have a light tempo or long interval workout of some sort tomorrow and that will be my last speed workout until the half.  Then the rest of the week I'll put in easy miles and take Friday off, run 5 or 6 Saturday morning and then race day.

I'm beginning to feel a bit anxious, excited, and nervous for the half since I never ran a half marathon in competition.  Sure I have ran as long as 13 miles and then some, but never raced one.  The best advice I can give anyone, including myself, is relax and treat this race as a regular long run, just with more people and at a faster pace.  If I can get that through my head I can't and won't fail.

"If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It.  If You Can Dream It, You Can Become It."- William Arthur Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment