Sunday, April 3, 2011

Speed Training

After you establish a good base incorporate some speed workouts into your training schedule.  This will assist with your leg turnover and kick in races.

For the past four weeks or so I've been doing tempo runs which are quicker than your regular training pace, but slower than actual race pace.  You should feel comfortable, but still pushing yourself.

My tempo runs consist of five miles at normal training pace, 6:30-6:45, then I'll turn up the tempo for the final 5 or 6 miles to a pace of 5:45-6:00ish.  Switching up your pace is key in training so your body won't be a one speed machine, you want to be able to have many gears so your can turn it up a notch when needed, and back it down a notch or two as well.

Next week, three weeks before my half, I'm going to begin some track workouts to really get the leg turnover going so I have some extra life with 3 or so miles left.  I'm still developing these track workouts, maybe mile repeats or repeat 800's.  I'm looking on-line to see what other marathoners do for speed workouts.  Once I figure it out I'll post a link so you can take a look yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment